Re: RE: Hobbies on a résumé (one blow to the dead horse)

Subject: Re: RE: Hobbies on a résumé (one blow to the dead horse)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 12:11:05 -0700

Tracy Boyington wrote:

Second, though I would not put my religious affiliation on my resume on its own merits, there are legitimate reasons for including related information (what if you were on a mission for 2 years... should you just leave a gap?)

Why not? If you have done several things in your life, a resume targeted at a specific profession wouldn't necessarily cover all your working life anyway. If anyone asked, all you need to say is that, during that gap, you weren't doing anything connected with the profession.

You could also omit dates, so that the gap didn't show. Many people omit dates anyway, out of fear ageism or simply because they're not relevant.

Anyway, the point is: Many people seem to have the impression that a resume has to be a complete job history. It doesn't. For example, on my tech-writing resume, my seven years as a university instructor is reduced to a single line. That single line covers over two dozen semesterly appointments at three or four different universities. The only reason I even give that time a single line is to stress that I have instructional experience, and as one more proof that I can manage and organize. But, increasingly, as I gather more proof that I can do those things while being involved with writing, even that one line becomes increasingly irrelevant.

"I work for the pleasure of stopping,
I stop for the pleasure of beer."
-The Mollys, "The Lang Town"

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/