Functional résumés; no dates on résumés (WAS RE:_Hobbies_on_a_résumé)

Subject: Functional résumés; no dates on résumés (WAS RE:_Hobbies_on_a_résumé)
From: "Salette Latas" <salette -at- latasgroup -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 12:19:01 -0700

Tom Murrell wrote:
> I structure my resume this way to keep it focused on the specific things I
want
> a prospective employer/client to know that qualify me for the job. I don't
want
> to give them anything (including dates that might indicate my age) that
would
> give them a reason to include me out.

I agree with this advice, Tom.

I put the dates of employment for my three most recent jobs, which are
usually the only ones I list, unless a particular job requirement convinces
me to list a job further back. I list my military service and degree, but
with no dates.

I notice that you list your service in Vietnam. Wouldn't that be an
indicator of your age?

I'd like to hear what hiring managers think of the practices of using
functional résumés vs. chronological resumes, and also what they think of
résumés that omit some dates or all dates.

Salette Latas
Tucson, AZ
www.infodesignonline.com/resume.htm

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/