Providing workflow orientation cues in topics?

Subject: Providing workflow orientation cues in topics?
From: "Hart, Rowena" <Hart -at- SelkirkFinancial -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:21:12 -0700

Hello all,

I'm creating a help system for a financial
application. If users call help from a
screen, a topic will be displayed that
explains how to complete the task on that

I would like to provide a visual or written
cue in the topic that identifies where the
screen-specific procedure fits into the
larger workflow.

I've been toying with the following layout:

Cash Management and Forecasting: *Banking* >
Reconciliation > Cash Forecasting

Reviewing Bank Account Balances

1. Blah
2. Blah
3. Blah

where the user's position in the workflow is

Can anyone suggest alternatives? I don't have
the resources for icons or graphics, so I'd
prefer a textual solution. Also, I am developing
WebHelp and am limited to the functionality
that can be achieved with HTML and JavaScript
(authored in RoboHTML v9.2).

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe.
Attend the entire event, select a single day, or sign up for
a Saturday postconference workshop.