Deleting built-in Word styles?

Subject: Deleting built-in Word styles?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:26:54 -0500

Cara O Sullivan wonders: <<I am creating a customized document template for
corporate use. I want to delete some of those pesky built-in headings such
as Heading 5, Heading 6, and so forth. Is there any way to do this? Or can I
somehow
just simply choose NOT to display the built-in styles I don't want?>>

Unfortunately, you can't delete Word's built-in styles--at least in versions
of Word up to Word 2000. What you can do is change your settings to show
only the styles that are actually in use in the template. To do this, open
the Format menu and choose "Styles". In the Styles dialog box, scroll your
eyes down to the bottom left, and in the field labeled "List:", select
"Styles in use". Voila!

One small problem: I'm not sure whether this setting applies only to your
computer, or travels with the document. Test it out on a colleague's
computer and see what happens. If you really need to enforce this behavior,
you could record a simple macro that opens the dialog box, makes this
selection, then closes the dialog box. Don't have all the necessary
references handy, but if you name the macro something like "Autorun" and
save it in the template, it will run automatically each time someone opens
the document. (Of course, they'll get a macro virus warning, so you'll have
to warn them that it's okay to proceed.)

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents."-- Nathaniel Borenstein