Re: 101?

Subject: Re: 101?
From: Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 00:46:53 -0400

Meena S wrote:
> At the risk of sounding ignorant, what does "101" stand for? I saw it on a
> company manual- a separate section that said Style 101. As far as I could
> gather I know it is a reference section or a ready reckoner.
> A search did not produce a good answer. I could just get examples-
> Judaism101 and Tax 101. I am sure this usage is confined to the US.
> Why 101?
> -Meena

In most U.S. colleges and universities, introductory courses in various
subjects are numbered. One of the common systems of numbering is 101, 102,
and so forth. So "101" after anything means "a first course in".

Bonnie Granat

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe.
Attend the entire event, select a single day, or sign up for
a Saturday postconference workshop.

101?: From: Meena S