RE: Reading and Editing

Subject: RE: Reading and Editing
From: "RUBOTTOM, AL" <ARUBOTTOM -at- SENSORMATIC -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:37:59 -0700

</don_pedant_hat>

Subvocalizing is fairly well understood by those who study language
learning, reading pedagogy, etc.
Yes, it is largely an artifact or by-product of acquisition and is
influenced [if not driven] by teaching [or lack of].
But it should not be dismissed as trivial, because for some it imposes a
significant burden on learning or performance.

Many conventional approaches "correct" the problem of subvocalizing by
strategies that aim to reduce or eliminate this unnecessary accompaniment to
the cognitive processing of text while reading -- unnecessary because you do
not *need* to vocalize or subvocalize to read well AND it can certainly
limit the speed at which you effectively read. Speed reading is best
achieved by learning to bite off bigger "chunks" visually, at speeds which
exceed (sub)vocalizing.

[Learning to write is, as noted, much easier if you turn your own speech
into written form, and improve it from there.]

Getting so used to subvocalizing that you rely on it as a feature of reading
or writing style begs the question [aha!] of its usefulness in one's style
of processing. That style issue can be accounted for by models like
Neurolinguistic Programming [or its antecedents] that describe modes of
sensory data processing and how these modes predominate in an individual. A
simple use of NLP is to notice how a subject reveals [the "distinct tells"
cited below] his/her mode(s) of preferred processsing, e.g., by looking up &
to the right [or left] when remembering sth. or responding to a question, by
the preferred verbs & sentence structures [visual types use "I see" more
often, kinesthetic types say "I feel" or "it feels to me...", audio types
say "I hear you"] & so on.
Careful examination of one's own [or others'] style of speech & writing can
yield useful insights, IF one is interested in making sense of that
meta-matrix, which lies behind or above surface functional levels. It can be
very powerful in therapeutic settings, in teaching, in coaching/counseling,
in maximizing debate or trial skills, in sales, & so on.
Many [most?] people are unaware of how their own preferences often
predispose them to receive information well or ill, and how to compensate or
correct for it.

</doff_pedant_hat>
Al