RE: tens of kilobytes

Subject: RE: tens of kilobytes
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:21:43 -0700

Sandy asked:

> However, what on Earth is a "2G network"?
<snip>
> Is "2G" a short form of "second generation"? If so, it strikes me
> as objectionable nonsense. I can see no reason to use it, but then
> I'm not your audience and don't know your goals.

You guessed right: 2nd Generation. Telecom term. 3G is the new,
high-bandwidth generation of data-capable cell phones/networks, that seems
to be eternally just over the horizon because nobody has figured out what to
do with it. What we have now, with lame 4 line screens, simple, short text
messaging, and only about 4k of RAM, is 2G.

And you're right... I can see no reason to use it. When 3G arrives, we'll be
able to do everything (that is, nothing) much faster.

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com

P.S. Okay, I admit it. I do use it (2G)... to check sports scores, and to
receive my professional e-mail, forwarded to my phone when I'm at a client
site... Guess that makes me a total geek!