Re: Simple symbol question

Subject: Re: Simple symbol question
From: Stan Schwartz <stanz -at- cam -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:27:18 -0400

Hi all,

Anyone know what these symbols are known as when used as brackets (rather
than mathematical symbols)?

< >

Kind regards,

Peter Kingston

They are used (in pairs) as quotation marks by the French called guimets [gwee may].
J'ai dites, << Oui. >>
Thus, I would refer to one as an opening single guimet [gwee met] or a single closing guimet.
IMHO, stick to the usual less-than and greater-than.


Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe,
New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day. For details and online registration, visit

Your monthly sponsorship message here reaches more than
5000 technical writers, providing 2,500,000+ monthly impressions.
Contact Eric (ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) for details and availability.

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.


Simple symbol question: From: pkingston

Previous by Author: Not only writing skills...
Next by Author: RE: Secretary Proofing Manuals?
Previous by Thread: Re: Simple symbol question
Next by Thread: RE: Simple symbol question

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads