RE: Section 508

Subject: RE: Section 508
From: Andrea Kelso <AKelso -at- accelio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:28:18 -0400

The company that I work for is taking Section 508 pretty seriously. As far
as I understand it, everything has to be accessible to the public and
government employees. There may not be much in the way of legal requirements
that directly apply to software development, but expect the government to
demand that the software they buy meet certain accessibility requirements.

This has meant finding ways to make the documentation more accessible and
figuring out some of the common issues that make docs inaccessible. For
example:
If users have mobility problems and can't use a mouse, can users navigate
easily through your help with just a keyboard?
How well can users navigate an online help system if they are also blind and
using a screen reader?
Do your HTML pages adapt well to screen magnification and high-contrast
colour settings for people with low-vision?
Do you use diagrams that blind users can't see, or colours that colour-blind
users can't distinguish, to explain something without supporting text to
explain the same thing.

Good luck.

Andrea