Back to writing (was RE: Tech-Reading vs. Other Reading)

Subject: Back to writing (was RE: Tech-Reading vs. Other Reading)
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:22:21 -0400

We did Mariner in Grade 8 (13 years old) and the most fun we had was reciting stanzas in the voice of the reader from the big ol' reel-to-reel tape the teacher brought in for us to listen to.

"The ICSSSSSE ... was he-yah,
The ICSSSSSE ... was they-ah,
The ICSSSSSE ... was all aROUNNNNND..."

Techwrite Tie In: Compared to courses in university, in high school and CEGEP (junior college) we had a great many more writing assignments to complete -- compare a 3rd-year university English course for which I wrote 2 2000-word essays, and a college English course for which I wrote 7 2000-word essays. I probably wrote a dozen or more essays a semester. Writer's block? What's that? The volume of reading and writing that was required of me during my education probably prepared
me for just this kind of job.

<Anecdote>Even in high school I had trouble cranking out 1700 words for a 2000-word requirement. I got an idea, I wrote it up, and even a bunch of "very, very, very"s couldn't boost the word count. This serves me well even now.</Anecdote>

Karen Black
Technical Writer, doesn't miss high school AT ALL

From: Iggy <iggy_1996dp -at- yahoo -dot- com>
> Ah, Robin - you need to read "Shrink Lits" - the
> 1-page version, in verse
> yet, of much of the world's literature.

Or get your hands on music versions of literature.
Many artists have, at one time or another, written
songs summarizing their favorite literary works.

A personal favorite of mine still is "Rime of the
Ancient Mariner" by Iron Maiden, complete with
readings from the original epic poem.

New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day. For details and online registration, visit