Re: Jobs ops in NC

Subject: Re: Jobs ops in NC
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:54:53 -0700

Chris L wrote:

All -
I constantly check job opportunities on the STC's Carolina Chapter website and it is VERY empty.
Does anyone know of any opportunties in NC that are not being advertised? Please email me off-list
if you do.

I know nothing about the STC's Carolina Chapter or the job situation in that area. However, it doesn't sound much different from most of North America right now. An economy on the brink of recession was tipped right over by the events of September 11, and propsects have faded from mediocre to poor.

For that reason, it's probably worth trotting out all the old cliches of job hunting: most jobs aren't listed on any job board, but found through cold calls or networking.

In my own area, I note an increased tendency for companies not to use job boards or go through consulting firms. I'm told by the consulting firms that this is partly a cost-saving measure, but also a way of filtering out requests that aren't very serious.

I'm also a great believer in cold calls or e-mails. Even if a company isn't advertising for a writer, announcing your availability often jogs people's memories about the writing jobs that they've meant to have done. I've found a number of short term contracts that way, and I'm currently crossing my fingers about a recent contact that may lead to a long-term relation with a company in my specialty area. I wouldn't have found any of these leads without cold calls or e-mails.

"What will I say when my children ask me,
'Where were you flying on that day?'
With trembling voice, I gave the order
To the bombadier of Enola Gay."
-Utah Phillips, "Enola Gay"