Re: Need help please

Subject: Re: Need help please
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:36:47 -0700

Nancy-

I'm not sure what you're looking to accomplish. He's a VP. He's a
policy-maker. You may disagree with the division of labor, but I've yet to
work in a shop where a tech writer can tell a VP what to do.

What is your goal? To tell him "That's not how _I_ think we should do it"?
Is he even interested in your opinion, or is he looking for you to do the
job you were hired for? You sound like you have disdain for anything that
has the word "marketing" affiliated with it, and in this case your
prejudice might hurt you.

Frankly, it sounds like maybe you should try to move on to HIS team. After
all, there will be juicy writing projects like whitepapers, and by your
own estimation he's intelligent and creative. In this instance, writing
for the Marketing department might be more up your alley than you might
normally consider it to be. From my experience, writers whose documents
are affiliated with sales/marketing (read "bottom line") are a LOT more
layoff-proof!

Just because it "isn't the way you're used to working" doesn't make it
wrong. And he might not care that it isn't the way you're used to working,
and further, might be offended if you tell him that. Open your mind, and
look for a way to take advantage of this particular situation.

And if it's THAT offensive to you, you'll need to run your own company.
Then you can do it YOUR way. But it doesn't sound like you're in a bad
situation; you just might need to consider the best way to align yourself
in this specific job.

Good luck!

- Keith Cronin

A person needs only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.