RE: Documentation Bulletins/Change Notices

Subject: RE: Documentation Bulletins/Change Notices
From: "Pete Sanborn" <psanborn2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:39:13 -0500

Mary K. asks:
"Do you issue change bulletins, or do you hold all or some changes for the
next major release?"

First, it depends on the nature of the change. If personal safety
(potential for injury) or equipment damage are at stake, you notify all
registered equipment (or document, if you register your documentation)
holders of the changes via a change bulletin. If the chnage is a
non-critical issue involving a procedure or operation, it can probably wait
until the next release, assuming you have regular document releases.

Change Bulletins should be issued as needed and, in my experience, do not
have a regular release cycle. The form of the change bulletin depends on
what you want the user to do with the change. Some company's want the user
to literally cut and paste their paper chnages over the applicable sections
of the documentation so the applicable sections of the book will always read
correctly. Others just want to issue a one or two page change that can be
inserted in a binder somewhere. If the doc is stricly electronic, a PDF
that is attached to the online doc is typical. I worked at one company that
issued replacement pages with the corrections inserted so the user just had
to remove old pages with incorrect info and replace them with new pages.

Most companies are loathe to admit that there are deficiencies in their
products or services, so if you can avoid issuing a change bulletin, you
should. In all likelihood, your management will bury product fixes in the
next release unless the safety issues are involved.

Regards,
Pete Sanborn