Re: Convoluted Outline

Subject: Re: Convoluted Outline
From: "Jackie S Korb" <jskorb -at- qwest -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 17:01:24 -0700

Have you tried breaking it out by function (or task) and user level be damned!
Each user will know his or her task. I wrote one document entirely by task and
was happy with the results, as was the project manager.

Jackie

Kelly Williamson wrote:

> I'm having hard time developing an outline for a project I'm currently
> involved with. It's for a scanning system and we are only allowed to develop
> one manual (don't ask--politics). However, there are 5 levels of users and
> they want to include all kinds of info. in this one manual: system
> requirements, installation and maintenance info, licensing info, workflow,
> and more. Additionally, the workflow is very scattered as to who does
> what--first level 1 creates users, then level 2 creates contracts, then
> level 3 scans forms and applies business rules, then level 4 and level 3
> create reports. Additionally, level 5 users can view certain info on the
> system. And then there's the IT staff in charge of installing and
> maintaining the equipment/software.
>
> How on earth do I organize/structure such a document? I'd like to inform as
> to how the whole process fits together, but it seems more important to break
> it out by role (or level of user). Maybe do both? If so, how? Have a chapter
> called something like "Workflow Overview", then other chapters titled by
> user level?
>
> Ideas are appreciated!
>
> Kelly Williamson
> kwcwtech -at- iwaynet -dot- net

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp