RE: More Unions

Subject: RE: More Unions
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 21:03:45 -0600

At least in the USA, and I have no experience elsewhere, the Unions are as much a big business as any other. They are, and have been for several decades, labor brokers.

I know the purpose they originally served, I know the history, the cultural background, etc., they are now big business.

I am an entrepreneur.

The USA has a long tradition of entrepreneurial workers. It is one reason some foreign companies that purchase American companies have employee problems. I left a company after 10 years there because the new Swedish owners couldn't understand why the American workers were paid so much more than their Swedish counter-parts.

One reason: we provide our own retirement, day-care for our children, medical, and other social funded living expenses, where the Swedish worker has it provided by the government.

The Swedish company pays an equivalent price per worker but in Sweden, most of that cost is paid to the government.

In the USA, we have to take care of it ourselves.

And a union is not about to step in and take care of me in a like manner. Regardless of what they say.

I don't want big brother, be they government or union. I don't want them.

Scott

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp