Re: Strange Interview Practices?

Subject: Re: Strange Interview Practices?
From: Annamarie Pluhar <apluhar -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:54:19 -0500

It's is fascinating how many different takes there are on the interviewer's purpose in constructing the interview process as "envvy harris" described it. Without spending the time to cut and paste the individual quotes, the range goes from those who think it the company knew exactly what they were doing by creating a high pressure situation that reasonably simulates an element of the job, to those who think that managers were simply dumb. I suspect each reader has their own filter...

I'd like to think that I'd have the presence of mind to ask the interviewer why the interview had been structured in that way. It is a reasonable question, adult-to-adult. The way that they respond would tell me much about whether I wanted to work there.

I once had the opportunity to have a group interview for a PH.D program in Psychology. We were told ahead of time. It was invaluable. I listened to everyone talk about why they wanted to be psychologists and got out of there fast. Never to return.

--
Annamarie Pluhar

IDD Tech Solutions
Instructional design and development for technology.

(301) 588 - 4001
(301) 646 - 5002 (Mobile)
apluhar -at- idd-solutions -dot- com
Silver Spring, MD

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp