RE: "Turn on the radio?"

Subject: RE: "Turn on the radio?"
From: Richard Pineger <r -dot- pineger -at- kudos-idd -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:32:39 -0000

I know that my French coworkers have trouble with these modifiers, as
follows:
Turn on
Turn up
Turn out
Turn nip
Turn down (interview)
Turn down (volume)
It is the small words that modify the English verbs that can cause all kinds
of confusion.
Look up
Look down
Look out!
Look in
Look at
Look away
Another interesting observation was that English is a Germanic language with
a 60% romance (i.e. Latin) vocabulary. To write simple English we are told
not to use the romance vocabulary but to favour the anglo-saxon. This causes
problems for the French because these are words for which they have no
equivalent. Some would say it obfuscates the meaning!

Richard