OT RE: Tech Writing Curriculum (wanders a little so marked it OT. )

Subject: OT RE: Tech Writing Curriculum (wanders a little so marked it OT. )
From: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EPA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:22:50 +1100

Walden said:

The best fit IS English. English departments teach writing skills of many
kinds. and English professors are somewhat in love with language.
The best money is in any other department (other than religion, philosophy,
and art)

**************************************************8

(a) The best fit is the English Department as there you would hope to find
the people most likely to love the art and act of writing.....

(b) Why not in the Religion department?

Just two examples (from a Judaeo-Christian background) of where technical
writing could have helped:

Basically the New testament is the same story from various, often
conflicting viewpoints - perhaps a technical editor could have......."Hey,
apostles, come over here - this is the style guide - and these are the areas
of Jesus' life each of you will be covering - when you finish your portion,
read the others, so that they are consistent....."

or in the Old Testament.....

Moses the Technical Editor (MTE): "Okay, sure - but can we make it Seven
commandments not twelve - they won't remember twelve! How about we combine
respect your mother and your father with covet your neighbour's wife -
something about thou shalt respect others opinion and their possessions -
hmmm might be able to lose thou shalt not steal as well......also can't we
make them more positive and active - rather than "Thou shalt not kill", how
about "Endeavour to respect and preserve Life?"

*sound of lightning bolts....great thunder*

MTE: Gee it was just a suggestion on your document - don't take it
personally, I'm sure it was only a draft.....okay, okay, I'll take all
twelve - but I tell you, you don't know your users.........

*more ominous thunder*

MTE: "So you never do drafts....okay, okay......whattayamean I'm going to
wander the wilderness for my suggestions! Gee you don't like bad reviews do
you....."

I am sure there are other holy tomes and religions this technical writing
criteria could be applied to - to make things consistent, and to ensure
things are stated explicitly, so that implied and subjective judgements
can't be used....

regards and thanks,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes
Melbourne 3000