Re: Reference guide - LONG email

Subject: Re: Reference guide - LONG email
From: "Nancy Mignone" <n_mignone -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:26:59 -0700

I took everyone's emails, took parts verbatim, and came up with the inconclusive summary I am including at the end of this email. Our document is a hybrid. It IS a how-to because it explains to CSRs how to use the database. However, it will not contain sequential procedures.
I think of Larry S. Bonura's The Art of Indexing as a template I am going for; however, my manager has in mind a very "user-friendly" guide. None of what I've said determines to me whether to make it a user guide or a reference guide.

If you can read through the following and provide advice, I thank you for your input, and your input thus far:

Customer Service Reference Guide
Audience: New Customer Service Representatives
Project Managers

Objective This guide explains to the Customer Service Representative how the CSR database works, and why it works in the manner that it does.

Its objectives are:
To explain the environment in which Clear Technology Customer Service Representatives must operate.
To provide Clear Technology Customer Service Representatives with guidelines by which to evaluate customer service requests.
To educate Clear Technology Customer Service Representatives in using the tools for tracking customer service requests.

Its purpose is not simply to give step-by-step instructions for a particular service request, especially because there are variations in the uses of the screen, and the writer must present the ?whole picture? to the user.

The guide explains the interface.

It answers the question ?What is it?? The Customer Service reference guide explains terms, window sections, etcetera, and their definitions and is more general when it comes to procedures. It does not have as its primary organization how to perform steps in a logical manner to achieve a single, given end like the training guide does, for example: how to configure Tranzax. There is no ?map? here.
Example of the presentation of the majority of information in a user guide versus a reference guide:
User Guide:

Assigning Prepaid Federal Excise Tax at the Product Level
You can set whether federal excise tax (FET) is prepaid
for an individual product.

1. From the Product Maintenance window, click Additional Data.
2. From the Additional Data list, select Product Information.
3. In the Prepaid FET field of the Product Information screen, select one of the following:
- Y. Federal excise tax is included in the product price.
- N. Federal excise tax is not included in the product
price. It is added at the time of invoice.

4. Press ENTER to accept changes and exit the screen

See Also:
- Including Federal Excise Tax upon Invoicing

Reference Guide:

Assigning Prepaid Federal Excise Tax at the Product Level
Product Information Screen

Use the Product Information window to set miscellaneous
values that apply at the product level.

Access the Product Information window by clicking the
Additional Data button on the Product Maintenance screen.

The Product Information screen contains the following fields:

Prepaid FET
Whether to include federal excise tax (FET) in the
product price or at product invoicing.

Valid Input

Y Include FET in the product price.
N Do not included FET in the product price. Add
FET to invoice. This is the default.

[add rest of fields on the Product Information screen here]

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr