Re: Reference guide

Subject: Re: Reference guide
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:18:14 -0500

Nancy Mignone wrote:

> Would someone define the difference between a user guide and a reference
> guide?
>
> How does content differ in the user guide from the reference guide?
> Does a reference guide use procedures?

To me, the user guide is mostly procedures and readability is a high priority.
The reference guide is mainly used to look things up. Completeness and a
good index are the top priorities.

> If you asked me to write a reference guide for customer service, what
> subjects would you expect me to cover?

Everything the customer service reps might need to look up. Lots of tables.
For every product:

Info for the rep's own use:
status: supported, obsolete, ...
contacts: technical, marketing, ...
version differences: some without support? manuals? ...
any OEM versions? differences?
For the customer:
URLs or book references:
FAQ, downloadable add-ons, security alerts, updates, ...
standards we implement
have WP Inc posted something on using our product
with their Wonder Package 6.66?
troubleshooting procedures, perhaps flowcharts
an API reference if the product is programmable