Re: Extra characters in IX.xml file

Subject: Re: Extra characters in IX.xml file
From: Bill Burns <wdburns -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:00:01 -0700

Hi, Kim.

You might want to check out the wwp-users list on Yahoo Groups. It's an excellent resource for anything related to WebWorks Publisher.

I've used WebWorks to create JavaHelp files from my FrameMaker book. The index
file, however, doesn't want to work because there are extra characters (&#160;)
inserted after each entry. If I pull the file up in Word and strip the extra
characters out (Find and Replace with nothing), the index works fine.

Has anyone encountered this before and know how to get WebWorks to stop
inserting the characters in the first place? I've figured out it has something
to do with the macros and variables used to build the IX.xml file, but I don't
have any idea how to fix it.

I haven't encountered this behavior before, and there's nothing in the default index style (Level1-5IX) that would do this as far as I know. Are you sure that there aren't spaces in the index marker text? The entity &160; is mapped to various space characters in the JavaHelp template character map for version 7. That would suggest that either the index markers or the blocks you're using to generate the index entries in the reference pages have these spaces in them. (The version 6 template doesn't map anything to &160; by default.)

Are you using nonbreaking spaces in the index blocks in your reference pages? If so, that's probably what is causing the problem. You can add a regex to the building blocks for the index to eliminate the problem.

Bill Burns
Burns Technical Communications
208-336-0861
wdburns -at- mindspring -dot- com

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr