Re: The skeletons in the web-site closet

Subject: Re: The skeletons in the web-site closet
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:32:12 -0500

Rob Partridge wrote:

Funny this should crop up now when I'm trying to organise
a redesign of our website. We've opted to restrict pictures
to a few key personnel - CEO/director/board member level only.
For us, I don't think putting pictures of everybody is relevant, or easy to maintain (as you mentioned, keeping up with staff turnover is tricky).
We don't put pix of everyone on our external site, but we do maintain a company photo-directory on our intranet site. We have a simple ASP page that looks at the employee database and pulls a picture with a matching name from a directory. Pictures are arranged alphabetically in a table (four across). Each table cell has the employee's name, extension, department, title, and photo. Click the name or photo, and you get a popup with additional (public) details about the employee, as well as a link to the company map, bookmarked to the employee's location. When we add an employee, we take a snapshot with a Mavica (which records a JPEG on a floppy disk), throw the picture into the directory, and add the employee to the database. When an employee leaves, the name comes out of the database, and the picture automatically disappears from the directory. Pretty nifty, huh?

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr