Re: The place of TW theory in real life

Subject: Re: The place of TW theory in real life
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:21:33 -0500

Carolee Burgess wrote:

Hi all,

Just thought I'd check in before my own reaction sends me over the edge. I'm
currently working toward a MA in Tech Writing, because I'm looking to switch
careers after a long stint in retail. We are required to take theory classes
and one that I'm taking this quarter is Information Architecture. I am not
enjoying it presently.
Before I have a nervous breakdown, I wanted to ask those of you "in the
trenches" (no offense meant) if theory is actually of value out in the "real
world". I understand the basic concept behind arranging information in a way
that is valuable and workable for the user-how much further do I have to go
with this? I'm also taking an intro class that is actually showing me how to
write in a totally different way than I did for my English BA, and this
class is very useful to me.
So does theory come into play specifically in the TW field? Am I merely
ranting without cause? What is the purpose of theory classes in this field?
I'm sure no one will be afraid to take me down a notch if I need it, but I'm
looking for justification for my stress...

Carolee,

Knowing stuff is a good thing. Knowing more stuff is a better thing. (Okay, that's just my opinion. I know some others don't agree with me.) However, as you have intuited, when you sit down with a blank document window in front of you and start tapping keys, what counts is producing good work fast, not how many courses in theory you took.

So here's my take on it: By all means take all the theory courses you can stomach. Learn as much as you can. And when you go for a job interview, do not, repeat not, talk about it. The people on this list who talk about the hiring they've done and the criteria they've used have never mentioned advanced degrees or courses in information architecture. We want to know what you can do more than we want to know what you know.

When is that theory course going to come in handy? It's going to pay off when there is a choice to be made among approaches to documentation, and you're in a room full of people with lots of opinions but a poor grasp of the desiderata. Suddenly you're going to walk up to the white board and draw a diagram that clarifies everything and makes the choice obvious. You'll be a hero. You'll get a promotion. Maybe you'll even get a raise to go with it.

Dick

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr