RE: entering tech writer field

Subject: RE: entering tech writer field
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:13:44 -0700

Win Day posed this question:

>Let's say your kid (OK, he's 18 and much bigger than I am!) says he WANTS
>to get into technical writing and knowledge management. What course of
>undergraduate study would you recommend, and why?

I'll risk serious flaming, and tell him to get a degree in business. Or
some other USEFUL multi-purpose degree if possible. Computer science, if
he's into it. Bottom line: something he can make MONEY with.

While doing so, take technical classes. Take writing classes.

Rule of thumb: take enough technical classes (or simply acquire enough
technical knowledge) that he becomes the person that his family and
friends turn to when they have a computer question. When that began
happening to me (and I found I actually knew the answers), I realized I
had officially become a "techie."

Likewise, take classes and/or aquire the skills/credentials to be
considered the "literary type" amongst family and friends; the guy who
knows the right way to say something, the correct grammar, etc. Writers
get paid to put on paper things that other people do not feel
comfortable/confident expressing in that manner. Be the guy they turn to.

Great classes to take: Business writing. Technical writing (if available).
Database design. Web design/HTML. Introductory programming, both "regular"
and object-oriented.

A degree in tech-writing per se is probably not necessary, and might be
limiting in the long run.

Good luck to him!

- Keith Cronin

Sports. The opposite of reading.