Doc purpose and mutating Help topologies (was: RE: Minimalist? online help?)

Subject: Doc purpose and mutating Help topologies (was: RE: Minimalist? online help?)
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:50:51

The latest incarnation of content-vs.-style banter, found in the context of
a Helpfile discussion, brings up another topic I'd like to hear
opinions/anecdotes on: the pros and cons of mutating doc types (usu. in
electronic format). I believe some of the recommendations about what to
include/exclude from Helpfiles may be reversed, if the Helpfile is viewed
as a medium, not a scope of use.

Philosophical context:
The idea of a "standard" doc set is nice, but isn't always as standard
as might be expected, esp. when the nature and limitations of the product
factor in.
For example, for physical (hardware) products, it is not always
possible to assume access to a computer, so documentation is more often
hardcopy. For software applications, electronic formats can be more
convenient, in the form of online Help, but "Help" differs by
context/purpose: at-need help differs from reference material help differs
from procedural (user) training. Companies developing software for internal
use may rely on their internal support folks, and thus not include Help
with their application. Companies with budget or PHB constraints may not
believe it necessary to purchase user documentation ("who looks at it
anyway?" says the one person not using the software), and may expect users
to learn the app. from the helpfiles. "Train the trainer" methodologies
crop up more and more often, but often result in outdated documentation not
getting updated when the app. is revised, and users not getting "retrained"
on items that have changed.

So, at this point we find that the "standard" doc types may not meet our
users' real needs. What do we do from there? Can we "casserole" some docs,
without them turning into a gooey (or GUI) mess?

I believe so. However, I'd like to hear pro's and con's from other folks,
since I am obviously biased. What may seem easier maintenance to me in my
current position might be a nightmare in another context, and I'd rather
not be blindsided trying the same approach in a future contract just
because I'm not experiencing snags now.

Ancedotal example of a working "casserole" doc:
I am dealing with a complex, internally-developed-and-used system,
containing multiple app.'s hooked into the same database, used by different
groups of people at overlapping stages of occasionally-parallel physical
processes.* Each app. has no menu item or button with which to access help
(developers' choice), and needless to say no context-sensitive help.
Training is on-the-job, and half the users do not have individual
workstations for storage of personal copies of paper manuals.
I recently converted the training manuals we had developed (following
the "standard" doc set) into WinHelp format CBTs that double as reference
manuals, stored in a single central location accessible from any computer
in the company (not all computers may have a browser installed, but all can
read WinHelp files); from the Contents page, the user may choose one of
four tutorials, or go to a reference page. Browse sequences walk through
each step-by-step procedure within each process within each function set
within the application. Individual topics exist for each screen for more
detailed reference, including variations within displayed contents that
affect the procedures that may be used. To reduce screen clutter while
still allowing detail, I put a screenshot of each screen or significant
variation in it's own topic, to be called in a secondary window from either
the tutorial topics or the reference topics, as needed. I used image maps
on each screenshot to link pop-up descriptions or definitions to each
control or major feature (user clicks on the feature, they see the
detail--potentially pages of text description available from a single
on-screen image without drowning the user in blocks of text they don't care
to wade through, and don't need). I also included a glossary topic using
pop-ups for each definition, so I can link those definitions as pop-ups to
words within tutorial or reference topics if it seems appropriate. In a
future step, I'll have it email a receipt when someone completes a
tutorial, so "refresher" training can be quantified and verified.

I also heard from someone (on this list? I forget) who found traditional
paper reference manuals were too fragile and cumbersome for certain active
engineers, and so they made laminated quick-reference card keychains that
could be hooked to a belt, and the users loved them. I could see something
like that used for business phone quick-reference, hooked to the handset
cord so as not to be lost when the phone is moved or deskspace becomes a
premium, as such references often are.

Shauna Iannone
*(Recipe for CIM soup: take 1 or more sets of manufacturing hardware, 3 to
5 different manual processes, and 5 dissimilar data systems on different
platforms that you have no control over. Add 1 more database to collect
never-before-collected data, several administrative, data collection,
reporting and human interface applications, and then interface everything.
Have engineers stir regularly, so it doesn't always stick. Apply heat and
pressure until brain turns golden brown and crispy at the edges. Serve with
lots of caffeine.)