Re: Spaced out

Subject: Re: Spaced out
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:47:35 -0500

Alex,

I've seen the same thing. I'm sure many of us have. I usually just fix the damn thing (either using a macro or search/replace, depending on the context). It's easier than changing behavior of people who think they're too important to bother with that stuff.

However, if you have a person who seems willing to learn but is graphically clueless, try changing the margins or point size to make such a passage come out all funky and then print out a sample page to demonstrate what the problem is. Next, sit in front of your monitor with the developer and look at the document with markers turned on so the spaces are visible dots (or whatever). Point out the hanging indent styles you use; show how the indent controls work; show the same passage properly formatted. Usually, one such lesson will result in at least some improvement, and the person may even be sufficiently interested to come back to you for further help in the future. Ya never know.

Dick