RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting

Subject: RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting
From: "Dugas, Andrew" <ADugas -at- eTranslate -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:22:47 -0800

I wouldn't say ethical, Bruce, but rather your own ethics.

For example, I used to wonder about the poor sap who had to write Nike's
One minute you've got it made at the cool sneaker company, the next you're
playing Goebbels.

Or how about working for Monsanto, spinning their GM food products and
playing down negative, inconveniently accurate research or data?

Do your concerns about exploitation extend to foreign child laborers or the
farmers who are subject to litigation because GM corn has migrated to their
fields against their wishes, let alone the unsuspecting consumer whom no one
told is playing guinea pig?

No need to answer. My ethics doubtlessly differ from yours. That's the
difference between the ethical and the legal. You can pin down, or at least
agree upon, the latter. But the former keeps squiggling around.

To some extent, I agree with John Posada says "If it is legal, I'd write
about/for it..." but would add "to the limits of my own taste and dignity."

In my mind John is tempting fate to immediately send his way an assignment
designed especially to turn his stomach. User's Guide to Planting a Mine
Field? Depleted Uranium: Your Battlefield Friend?

Maybe he'll let us Techwhirlers know when he finds out...