RE: entering tech writer field

Subject: RE: entering tech writer field
From: "Dugas, Andrew" <ADugas -at- eTranslate -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:10:55 -0800

Your little query has generated quite a few responses. Naturally, I had to
put in my own two cents:

** Should you see if tech writing is something you want to do?

Sure, but just enough that you won't be miserable. Right Livelihood is a
great concept, but until they stumble onto it, who out there knows what they
REALLY want to do? If you're curious, enjoy problem solving, and can develop
rapport with technical types, you'll be fine. I know some folks on the list
took cheap shots at your MFA in creative nonfiction (postmodern journalism?)
but a masters in any kind of writing field is a definite boost to the
resume.

** Should you study programming?

Ordinarily, I'd say no, but with the job market the way it is, any skills
you can add to your resume will give you an edge over other newbies,
especially laid-off programmers trying to migrate to tech writing. I was
laid off for six weeks this summer and 85% of all jobs out there seemed to
involve writing Java APIs to some extent. The ads lasted a while, too,
indicating that even in this market, they were having trouble finding
someone with the right skills. So, yeah, a little Java or C++ wouldn't hurt.
You don't need to learn how to program per se, but how to understand the
language, its components and syntax. Start out with one of those Teach
Yourself Java books and go from there.

** Why not start out in another writing position?

It may be easier to get a job in marketing or PR for a tech company, then
move over to tech writing. Use the time to get under the hood of the
products; mix it up with the engineers. I started out in marketing
communications; after two years, I moved over to tech writing at the same
company. They knew me, my abilities, and that I was familiar with the
products. So they gave me a chance.

** What about the tools of the trade?

If you can use Word with a high level of skill, you can easily master Frame
or RoboHelp in no time, as long as you have a senior writer who can help you
along when you need it. As has been hashed out on this list in many a
debate, tools knowledge for junior positions should be low on the hiring
managers list, so long as the core principles behind the tools (i.e., info
design, writing skill) are in good supply.

Good luck to you.