RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting

Subject: RE: Ethics and Job-Hunting
From: "Damien Braniff" <DBraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:49:58 -0000

Ethics, like morals, are not absolute. While there may be general
agreement on some things (e.g. murder is wrong etc.) no two situations
are the same. Like so many things, ethics are a product of many things,
our upbringing, our experiences, environment etc, not to mention the
specific circumstances. What I find unethical today may be less of a
problem tomorrow if I'm unemployed with a family, mortgage etc.
Generally ethics work on a moving scale depending on the circumstances
where they range from 'soft' (we're flexible) to 'hard' (we won't move
on this point). Even 'hard' ethics may be changeable depending on the
circumstances.

Most of the situations mentioned so far have two sides - privacy vs
security; killing vs protecting and so on. We are people of the present
and it, along with our ethics, are subject to change. Remember when we
were in our teens/twenties and had discussions with our parents and how
strange their views were on some things, or was that our views...? I
guess what I'm saying is that with ethics, like everything else in
TWing, it depends.

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer
Amphion Semiconductor Ltd.