RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 02:24:46 +0000

<KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com> wrote in message news:918C70B01822D411A87400B0D0204DFF01C198A1 -at- panda -dot- chrysalis-its -dot- com -dot- -dot- -dot-
[snip]

In better years, I've gone to STC and other "trade" shows/conventions, and even then, the only justification was "to fulfill the 'training/professional-development' requirement on Kevin's evaluation".

Needless to say, while I always get good evaluations, I really, really make it a point to include as my improvement goal for the coming year, some kind of (usually vague) training.

Nobody here is motivated to research my field for me, so they take my word that the training or the professional
conferences I need are always somewhere sunnier and warmer than Ottawa, Canada. Ahem.

And don't none of you rat on me, y'hear?

Hey, I see the value in STC conferences.

And a couple of years ago, I managed to a government department I was doing a four month job for to pay half the costs. Mind you, Edmonton to Calgary for a three quarter day event is fairly manageable.

Another local writer (who shall remain nameless) and I were talking about just this topic, especially as we'd heard a rumor that local STC types were thinking of beefing up local classes and seminars and even proselytizing
directly to our employers. That unamed writer and I decided that if this looked to be getting off the ground in any meaningful way, she and I.... er, I mean s/he and I ... would have to "clean out the nest"...

Well, if the local seminars are of any value, you might be able to get the company to foot the bill. ;)

By the way, we've had some really good seminars put on by our local STC chapter along the way.

Now, to get down to the topic of this thread.

Do I travel professionally?

The answer is rarely.

And that keeps the cat very, very happy indeed.

--
John Fleming
Technical Writer

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr