Re: certificates and the current job market

Subject: Re: certificates and the current job market
From: Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 08:17:38 EST

I'm going to say both yes and no.

No, don't get a certificate if it's in something general that everyone seems to be able to do (Web Design.)

But, YES get a certificate if it's in something unusual, because then it means more than you've "taken a course." It means "you've taken a bunch of courses and can reasonably be considered proficient." Example: The hot button here is Section 508, and you can get a certificate in it from 5 web courses. My contracting company was pleased to pay for a couple of courses to see how they worked out. They've told me point blank that they'll be thrilled to have me get this certificate because it will impress clients.

So the answer is both yes and no... or, more accurately, it depends on what you get that certificate in.

There's another reason to take Cert. classes, too. They're often taught by professionals as opposed to professors - professionals who might know someone in the field who needs a worker. It's not a bad exchange to take a $350 class and get a $500 short-term contract with portfolio piece out of it.

Linnea Dodson