Re: Follow-up to Linux experimentation thread

Subject: Re: Follow-up to Linux experimentation thread
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:28:32 -0800

KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:

IS there such a thing as an across-the-board font
installation in Linux? Or, even an across-the-KDE
or an across-the-Gnome font installation?

Look for the following packages:

- xfs,and type1inst for postscript fonts

- xfstt for Type1 fonts

The method for installing fonts is too involved to go into here, but you should be able to use the documentation that comes with the packages. Notice, however, that you need to make the fonts available both to X (for display) and to ghostscript (for printing).

Also, for various obscure reasons, some fonts of both types simply won't work, no matter what you do. Sometimes, there are obvious reasons for this, such as multiple metric files for the fonts. Often, however, it seems sheer crankiness, although I notice that dingbat sets are especially unlikely to work.

If you run into difficulty, I have a basic set of instructions that I can send you.

"I was close to understanding, I never felt so fine
The angels leave on horseback, but the devils are all mine,
I knew I'd live forever, I was flying down the years
Till I heard the sound of morning, breaking glass around my ears."
-OysterBand, "This Town"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr