Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:15:39 -0800

Deborah Ray wrote:

Which of the following best describes your attitude toward technical writing tools?

* I happily use any tools my employer provides
* I prefer to guide my employer toward certain tools
* I work only where I can choose my tools
* Other/none of the above

Like a lot of people, I balk at "happily" in the first choice.

However, putting that quibble aside, I consider the first choice the only really professional attitude, especially for a contractor.

Not that I don't have my preferences. Nor am I slow at stating them, given anything like a chance. I'll even admit that I consider not having to use MS Word a plus in a job. But, when everything is said, the goal is to satisfy the client. It's definitely NOT to encourage the client to shell out for a tool that nobody except a writer can use.

Besides, the last thing I want to do is whine. It sounds unprofessional, and lack of professionalism doesn't encourage clients to deal with me a second or a third time. I'd have a lot less work if I didn't use the tools that the client wants.

"I was close to understanding, I never felt so fine
The angels leave on horseback, but the devils are all mine,
I knew I'd live forever, I was flying down the years
Till I heard the sound of morning, breaking glass around my ears."
-OysterBand, "This Town"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr