RE: Telecommuting Job Search Advice Needed Please

Subject: RE: Telecommuting Job Search Advice Needed Please
From: "Pete Sanborn" <psanborn2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:07:33 -0500

It's been my experience that telecommuting jobs are rare, few and far
between. Most of the sites I have seen that post telecommuting jobs are
posting freelance positions that applicants bid on. Guess who wins? The
lowest bidder.

In most cases, if you are not representing yourself as an independent
contractor working form your own "office", most companies are not
comfortable with telecommuters. There is still too much perception that if
you aren't physically present in the office, you aren't working.

Typically, telecommuting jobs come about as the result of someone who knows
you very well and trusts you to be able to work unsupervised, or as the
result of excellent networking in which someone who knows you recommends you
to someone they know with a need for your skills. Most employers have not
adjusted to project management versus physically seeing you at a desk.

Whatever happens, best of luck. If you find a good, valid telecommuting
site, please pass it along. The rest of us want on that merry-go-round,
too! :-)

Best of luck.

Regards,
Pete Sanborn