RE: no degree equals demotion

Subject: RE: no degree equals demotion
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:44:40 -0000

Not funny, but sort of mordantly amusing: shortly after the Equal
Opportunities Act was passed in the UK, many factory workers on assembly
lines who had previously been paid different rates depending on their
gender, discovered that now they were to be paid different rates depending
on whether they could carry heavy loads for a hundred yards, or run upstairs
with two full buckets of water... tasks that had never been part of their
jobs in the past. One contemporary cartoon showed an employer explaining to
two workers, "Mrs Jones, you get 50p per hour. Mr Bloggs, you get 75p per
hour, because you can grow a moustache." (Another one, which really is funny
and is still current, shows two babies in nappies (diapers) standing side by
side - one nappy is pink, one blue - holding their nappies open at the front
and looking down into them. Pink-nappied baby says "Oh! That explains the
difference in our pay!")