Re: Consequences of not really understanding

Subject: Re: Consequences of not really understanding
From: Annamaria Profit <inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 14:59:46 -0500

Eric,
The worst point is that the statement itself is a load of c**p. We had a whole contingent of Norton-"wiped" drives come back with three generations of old info on them when we sent them out to be restored. They claim a DoD random wipe protocol, but if DoD is using that particular wipe protocol, the Pentagon's surplus computers are gold mines for any terrorist with a credit card and access to military-base surplus sales!

At 10:06 AM 12/16/01 -0700, Eric J. Ray wrote:

From Bruce Schneier, www.counterpane.com, and the
Crypto-Gram newsletter.

"This isn't big enough for a doghouse entry, but it is funny enough to
mention. Norton SystemWorks 2002 includes a file erasure program called
Wipe Info. In the manual (page 160), we learn that "Wipe Info uses
hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more security than wiping
with decimal values." Who writes this stuff?"

People really do notice. (For those who don't get it,
this is roughly equivalent to stating that filling a glass
with tap water is safer (= "more secure") than filling
it with slightly contaminated H2O.)
Eric

Annamaria Profit
E-mail: inteltek2 -at- earthlink -dot- net
"Where it is possible, live in peace with all men."

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr