More on content providers vs. writers and architects

Subject: More on content providers vs. writers and architects
From: Anita Legsdin <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:38:19 -0800

Microsoft used to call "content providers" the people with specialized
knowledge (of trucking, woodcarving, photography, etc.) who wrote articles
for Encarta and MSN. These people were paid less than software documentors
and were not looked upon with great respect, I don't think.

The current buzzword is "information architect." :-)

=============================
>Subject: "Providing content" vs "writing"
>From: Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com
>Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:54:28 EST
>
>Has anyone ever called themselves a "content provider" and has it worked
for them?

>I was once strongly advised to put "content provider" on my resume because
it was the computerese buzzword for
>writer and "will get you a much higher salary and way more interest." In
reality, I got zero callbacks and one temp
>agency asking me what the heck it was that I actually did for a living.
>
>My advice - forget about providing content and just be a writer.
>
>Linnea Dodson

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr