Re: Quality of source material from Development

Subject: Re: Quality of source material from Development
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:21:20 -0800

Gilger.John wrote:

Some time ago I read a thesis on methods of thought at
http://www.melloworld.com/ProgStone/ProgStone.html. It is an interesting
piece that ties into this discussion about developers and the input they
provide. It is long but well worth your time to read.

In a very succinct nutshell, there are two types of thinkers, "mappers"
and "packers".
Thanks for the interesting article, John. The idea that there are only two types of thinkers doesn't quite fit my personal map ;-) but I think the division is useful. IInterestingly enough, the same distinction is made in a poem by Robert Graves:

In Broken Images

He is quick, thinking in clear images;
I am slow, thinking in broken images.

He becomes dull, trusting to his clear images;
I become sharp, mistrusting my broken images,

Trusting his images, he assumes their relevance;
Mistrusting my images, I question their relevance.

Assuming their relevance, he assumes the fact,
Questioning their relevance, I question the fact.

When the fact fails him, he questions his senses;
When the fact fails me, I approve my senses.

He continues quick and dull in his clear images;
I continue slow and sharp in my broken images.

He in a new confusion of his understanding;
I in a new understanding of my confusion.

- Robert Graves

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr