Re: Career Change

Subject: Re: Career Change
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:29:31 -0800

Diane Evans wrote:

When I did my big career change (education to tech writer), it took me six
months to get my break. I had to settle for a much lower salary than I
wanted (about 2/3 of what I was asking for, and half of what I now make).
If you can handle a lot of rejection, though, it is well worth it.

I took about three months before I started getting work, and six before I got my big break. Since I was a sessional instructor, I had very low pay expectations, so it didn't take long before I was getting what I had earned before.

But the patience and persistence to get that break is what usually makes the difference. I've seen several people give up after about ten weeks, while several others who didn't seem as good as writers broke into the field because they didn't give up.

Of course, I can appreciate that everybody can't wait that long. But, in these times, it's unrealistic to expect instant results - although some intelligent planning can help.

"And I wouldn't say I couldn't be your lover,
Not if there was nothing else to be,
But if love is what you're dying to discover (darling)
Don't slit your wrists for me."
- OysterBand, "Don't Slit Your Wrists For Me"

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr