RE: Offline courtesy among list members

Subject: RE: Offline courtesy among list members
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:40:13 -0500

Good afternoon from rather wintry New England,

I've been reading this post with great interest and although I may be
flamed, I have a few comments. I am also among those "unthanked" when I've
given what I considered a helpful suggestion off list, that at times takes
some effort. My two cents.

While it is considered impolite not to say "thank you" to someone who has
answered a question or helped resolve a problem, it is a voluntary thing we
all do. There are options. We could all just quit the list or not reply at
all.

Perhaps I sound like a "60's" person but I do feel gratified inside when I
share what limited writing expertise I have in helping someone out with a
technical writing problem. It feels great just to share the information, or
in my case sometimes, discovery by default!

Some thoughts if listers don't respond with a thank you:

Perhaps they're under the gun to finish a project and didn't have time to
send you a note.

Perhaps they didn't think that responding is a necessary part of belonging
to this list.

Perhaps they really are a bit thoughtless.

Perhaps there are lots of us who do the same thing at some point during our
writing experiences.

I am guilty at times as well. I try to send a thank you to everyone that
I've received information from the list but sometimes my workload deadline
outweighs my the size of my grateful responses. Yes I do send a line or two
if I haven't the time to be more prophetic.

So thank yourself for taking the time to respond to that person. You have
done them a wonderful service by just helping. A response each time you
volunteer your expertise is great, but not everyone thinks the same way in
this life and times. I am always so grateful to all the people on this list
who just take the time to help in a pinch!

BTW and OT, after doing hospice, I realized that the true thanks you get in
this life is how you feel on the inside by voluntarily helping someone.
Doesn't matter how.