Opinions on Camtasia from TechSmith

Subject: Opinions on Camtasia from TechSmith
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:46:35 -0000

Hi,
A colleague of mine is looking for a screen-capture recorder
(uh...that's probably not the official name of this tool, but what I
mean is a means to record your onscreen activities to make a MPG or AVI
or whatever). The two tools that I know of are Hypercam from Hyperionics
(eep...see http://www.hyperionics.com/hc/) and Camtasia
(http://www.camtasia.com). Hypercam is pretty budget, both in price (US
$30) and features--I've used it before and it's worked all right, but it
seems to demand some serious RAM while functioning. Camtasia is
considerably more pricey (US $150.00), but looks far more robust.

Has anyone used Camtasia? What did you think? Can you recommend any
alternatives? Thanks. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Technical Writer
Cape Clear Software