RE: offline courtesy among list members

Subject: RE: offline courtesy among list members
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:55:47 -0000

Mr. Sanborn (who must have a very large navel) may not agree with Mr.
Horn's opinion, but he certainly didn't refute any of Mr. Horn's points.
In fact, Mr. Horn's approach could be said to take "common courtesy"
into account. After all, isn't reducing email volume and bandwidth-use
in everyone's best interests?

Applying the rules of the "real world" to cyberspace can be foolhardy.
It's a bit like saying, "if this greeting/gesture/phrase works in
Alberta, it ought to work in Thailand." Just because saying "thank you"
and "you're welcome" are considered courteous at your convenience store,
they're not necessarily required in an email exchange.

To extend Mr. Horn's line of thinking, it's also a lot more intensive
(relatively) to receive and send off an email saying "thank you" than it
is to utter the phrase aloud.

As a general rule, I send a "thank you" email when someone has gone out
of their way to help me. Hopefully, I can also convey something else
along with that "thank you", to contextualize my response, as in "thank
you for that information on portfolios, I will definitely apply the
principals you describe in my next interview."

My two cents. DB.

<snip>

> Of course, that's just my belly button's worth of opinion.
>
> Happy Holidays.
>
> Regards,
> Pete Sanborn

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr