RE: offline courtesy among list members

Subject: RE: offline courtesy among list members
From: "Pete Sanborn" <psanborn2 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:37:31 -0500

I couldn't disagree more with Matthew. I am assuming he must be very old
because his response reminds me of something my mother said a few years ago:
"I'm too old to be polite." Matthew can justify rudeness any way he likes
and I have no doubt that his justification makes sense to him. However, in
an advanced society, the rules of etiquette are among the few things that
separate us from a developing 3rd world country. Nothing gets my dander up
faster than to hold a door for someone and get no response. Sure, it's not
the most important thing that happens in my world, it's simply an expression
of what was once called "common courtesy".

Unfortunately, in our world today, "common courtesy" isn't common at all.
The lack of manners reflects a lack of respect for others. And, when we
lose that respect for others, we might as well get down in the gutter and
turn this and every other web site into the equivalent of an online Jerry
Springer Show. Is that what we want?

I think Matthew would discover that a simple thank you would garner him far
more *repeat* favors than he currently gets. A simple thank you doesn't
necessarily generate a never-ending response of "you're welcome" (note the
correct spelling, Matthew) followed by endless embellishments of the
original thank you and ending up with a promise to bear someone's child.
It's just common courtesy and, with so much anger and cruelty in the world
today, we all need a little common courtesy.

Of course, that's just my belly button's worth of opinion.

Happy Holidays.

Regards,
Pete Sanborn

From: Jim
"Hey, John, I was wondering if you had that file? Thanks!"

To Jim:
From: John
"Here ya go. Glad to help!"

To: John
From: Jim
"Thanks again!"

To: Jim
From: John
"Your welcome!"

.... later that morning....
Jim briefly thinks he should come back with some sort of lovingly crafted
response expressing even deeper gratitude than his previous two attempts to
thank John. Eventually, he settles on printing out the email trail and
adding it to his folder as an example of what a team player he is.

Please reply offlist. :)
Matthew Horn