Re: Sub Contracts on Resumes

Subject: Re: Sub Contracts on Resumes
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:39:57 -0800

John Fleming wrote:

How do you show a sub-contract on your resumes? That is, projects where the deliverable was for Company A, Company A contracted the work to Company B and Company B subcontracted the work to you.

I'd suggest one of two ways:

- Put Company A as the company for the resume, then put the fact that you were sub-contracted to Company B as the first bullet point.

or

- Mention both companies with a slash between them.

Both are broadly truthful, and give you the benefit of mentioning Company A if that's an asset (say, for example, that Company A is IBM). However, the second is less misleading, so that's what I do.

I'm assuming, of course, that Company B is not a head-hunter. Even if I receive my pay cheque from the head-hunter, my relation is with the company I was matched with, so I wouldn't feel obligated to mention the head-hunter at all.

"Whoever invented the policeman ought to be licked into shape,
Toughened and trained till the body's a cane...
Till obedience rules and encircles the brain
With walls so he'll never escape."
- Leon Rosselson "Whoever Invented the Fishfinger"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr