RE: Word Features

Subject: RE: Word Features
From: "Schwarz, Ronald" <Ronald_Schwarz -at- adc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:14:21 +0200

Why not use automatic indexing?

Ronald Schwarz

From: Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 08:45:33 EST

Word Features I Always Use:
- spell check as you type
- tables
- table of contents
- styles

Word Features I Sometimes Use:
- auto correct as you type (after editing their list)
- borders
- fields (see automatic numbering comments)

Word Features I Wouldn't Use Even If You Offered Double My Salary And A
Year's Supply of Chocolate:
- grammar check
- automatic numbering
- automatic indexing*

Regarding other comments on the problems of automatic numbering and doing it
by hand -- I once inherited a long document that was half numbered by hand
and half numbered incorrectly automatically. The project was presided over
by a boss who wanted it right, he wanted it yesterday, and he wanted it done
automatically. Nevermind that Word only gave you one out of three in that
set of choices!

A quick search of techwhirl archives showed me the joys of numbering with
sequential fields. Numbered sequential fields get it right each time, and
once they're coded, you can cut and paste them into any document. The
resulting recommendation/how-to report is now a staple of my portfolio.

Linnea Dodson

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr