RE: Word Features

Subject: RE: Word Features
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:58:59 +1100

Auto Format - Sometimes - especially when converting plain ASCII files.

Auto Format as you Type - NEVER EVER

Auto Correct - ALWAYS, I have radically extended this feature via a toolset
available from the HATT site.

Auto Text - Always, I use it to store my different H&F's, watermarks and std
boilerplate texts (eg copyright statement)

Custom Dictionary - Again, I have radically extended this concept to ease
controlling multiple custom dictionaries, although the old version of this
dialog is available from the HATT site, I am updating it.

Styles - ALWAYS. Never ever DONT use styles :-)

Automatic Style Updates - Never. I also don't use Update Styles.

Tables - Borderless tables are great for layouts. My internal document
design uses shaded tables for layouts.

Frames - Never. There's some pro's and cons, I just don't need their
functionality as I use a HAT to goto HTML.

Borders - For office signs only.

Numbered Lists - Nope - all my lists are multi-numbered, even the bulletted
ones. I use four outline lists types - one bulleted, one simple numbered,
one in the style 1.a.i and one with no bullet or number (Body Text). All use
the same indents for each level and can have their indent level changed via
tab and shift-tab.

Multi-Numbered Lists - always - see previous point re auto indenting.

Track Changes -- Avoid like the plague. Save an archive copy of your
document, allow the changes to be made, then use Tools > Track Changes >
Compare Documents to generate the delta view.

Master-Sub Documents - Love em. I am the Heretic after all. For more info
write to me (@ home) @ cruddy -at- optushome -dot- com -dot- au -dot-

Route Document - nope.

Protect Document - yup - for forms.

Mail Merge - nope.

Comments - nope.

Macros - lots and lots and lots and lots... see archives for many examples.

Headers/Footers - several sorts. Simplex, Duplex, External. Also includes
watermarks like DRAFT, SECRET, TESTING.

Cross Referencing - lots. I have written many extensions for this including
a super insert dialog, and a list of reverse cross-references.

Automatic Cross Referencing - never. I always cross-reference to a
bookmark - the safest way.

Fields - love em, couldn't live without them. Insert > Field > Pagenum for
eg.

Captions - nope.

Table of Contents - yup.

Indexing - yup.

Appendices - yup.

Conversion Filters ? yup, PDF, HTML, Java etc

Outline View - Nope.

Page Layout View - Usually.

Templates - Certainly. Essential to controlling conformity.

Forms - Yup. Especially designed to work both as soft and hard.

Struth - aint you one for the big questions :-) HTH,

Steve Hudson , HDK List MVP
Principal Technical Writer
Wright Technologies Pty Ltd (Aus)
EyeSpring - the future of graphics has been created.

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr