RE: Client woes: a question to ask yourself...

Subject: RE: Client woes: a question to ask yourself...
From: bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 11:34:19 -0600

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with learning something practical. I'm not even saying that taking an auto repair course wouldn't have been helpful. I'm sure it would have.

What I am saying is that having to take such a course to receive a technical writing degree is not less a realistic requirement than having to take business courses to learn the subject matter of that field would have been.

It's generally conceded that tech comm. programs already have a hard enough time fitting in enough of the material that we all feel they should ideally cover. Why should some pertinent class be dropped in favor of requiring a business management class. If you think such a class would be helpful, you can take it as an elective, but it should not be a requirement for the program. I always figured I wanted to write software documentation, so I took a programming class.