Re: Round #4263 with the Client From Hell and what would Andrew do?

Subject: Re: Round #4263 with the Client From Hell and what would Andrew do?
From: Annamarie Pluhar <apluhar -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:59:09 -0500

I wrote the email below and then discovered that David had already asked an "what would Andrew do"? Since mine is a bit different, I'm posting it. I think that this IS an interesting case. Yes, Andrew, I agree that the account is one-sided.

***
Having had my own CFH experience I read Elna's account with sympathy. It certainly is a case study in how a relationship can unravel. I wonder, Andrew, at what point you would have disengaged from this client? At the outset, is my guess. Since you won't work on fixed price contracts would you have walked away from this work? Of course you would offer a hourly rate "not to exceed" as a counter offer. Would the ensuing quality of the negotiation have revealed that this was a CFH, and it was best not to accept the work? Have you in fact walked away from work?

The issue of fixed price vs. hourly is difficult. I like it when my carpenter tells me how much the project is going to cost. He knows his job, he knows how long it is going to take, he ought to be able to tell him how much it is going to cost. When he stops to take a page and return a call to another client, I'm not worried that he'll bill me for that time. I can understand our clients feeling the same way. (Though, when carpenters are doing a major remodeling they always hedge because they don't' know what they'll find.)

There's another element in Elna's story that hasn't been touched on. My own CFH was a bully. She liked throwing her power around, seeing people scared of her and pleading with her. I don't know what she might have been like if faced with a male person with significant authority who refused to be bullied by her. Elna's also sounds like a bully. There are times when it is good to have solid, male competitive testosterone to stare down bullies.

Annamarie

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr