Re: Virtual Teams, further defined

Subject: Re: Virtual Teams, further defined
From: Annamarie Pluhar <apluhar -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:52:10 -0500

Peggy you say:

"We're trying to move away from just being fascinated with the technology, to finding out how to mold the technology around the humans involved. How is this high-quality level of communication established? Does it mean just using web conferencing and other tools? What are the peripheral issues, such as how to deal with difficult people on the team, how to garner enthusiasm for new ideas, etc.?"

I've been thinking about your question. Having trained hundreds of teams in the eighties (literally) I think I understand what you are looking for. "Virtual teams" have the same needs as local teams: clarity and agreement on goals, roles and procedures.

The responses that describe technology and the need to communicate are right on the money. The project teams I've worked with have been infinitely helped by instant messaging. Yes, everyone has to have Internet access throughout the work day. Conference calls, emails and server access to distribute work-in-progress are essential. Status reports fill out the picture. Reading the project manager's status report is of value.

I think that virtual team members have to hone a skill in knowing when to reach for the phone to have a real-time conversation with someone rather than relying on email/IM. It's a judgement call. Emails document questions and decisions, conversation allows ideas to generate, problems to be discovered.

Difficult people? In some ways , dealing with difficult people is easier. One can scan emails and delete them. The physical separation means that attitude/tempers etc. are less in one's face. The question is: do they do the work they are supposed to do?

Job performance can be an issue. Since the team isn't in one location it may not be apparent that a team member isn't doing what they are supposed to do. Case in point: on a recent project I was asked to step in and support a developer who had been on the project 3 months before me. It took me a week to realize that she was relying on me to make all the decisions. I ended up doing 7/8 ths of the work and the PM didn't realize this until I told her (I was happy for the work) a week before the deadline. I thought she knew, since the developer I was working with was in the same office as the PM.

I wonder whether others on the list have stories about managing job performance in virtual teams?

Hope this is useful.

Annamarie
--
Annamarie Pluhar

IDD Tech Solutions
Instructional design and development for technology.

(301) 588 - 4001
(301) 646 - 5002 (Mobile)
apluhar -at- iddtechsolutions -dot- com
Http://www.iddtechsolutions.com
Silver Spring, MD

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr