Re: Fw: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!

Subject: Re: Fw: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:58:07 -0800

Ivan Weiss wrote:

I wouldn't edit or proofread hard copy your way on a bet, but that's
because I'm thoroughly comfortable in the traditional style.

You're missing the point: editing isn't about what you're comfortable with - it's about what the writer you're editing is comfortable with. Standard proof reading marks are efficient once you learn them, but if the person you're working with doesn't understand them, you're wasting your efforts.

I found this out the hard way my first semester as a teaching assistant. Even with a crib sheet to the marks, students were always asking me what a mark meant. Many times, too, even though they knew what a mark meant, they didn't know how to correct the error In the end, I stopped using them. Writing out the comments in full and explaining how to fix them took longer, but at least I could communicate.

"Now everything's lurching out of control, they're infiltrating my head,
When I woke up this morning, they were all around my bed,
If I knew who the enemy was, I'd shoot the bastard - dead."
-Leon Rosselson, "Somebody's Stolen the End of My Dream"

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr